The federal government has reopened investigation into allegations of sexual molestation against Olaseni Osifala, a teacher at Queen’s College, Lagos, TheCable can report. In March 2016, one Chinenye Okoye, a student of the school, alleged that Osifala sexually harassed her. Some other students reportedly made the same claim.
The claims sparked off an outcry as parents and citizens called for the sack and the prosecution of the teacher.
The ministry of education set up a panel to investigate the allegations, but the panel could not establish a case against Osifala because none of his accusers was willing to testify.
However, in an interview with TheCable on Thursday, Adamu Adamu, the minister of education, said investigation into the allegations had been reopened and that some of the girls were willing to testify now – even on camera.
He explained that no case was established against the teacher after the previous investigation because his accuser did not show up. However, he added that investigation into the matter was now in progress.
“Investigation is going on in the ?incident when a teacher (Olaseni Osifala) was accused of sexual harassment,” he told TheCable.
“We initially sent a team, and the team went there and came back with a report that virtually ignored the man because they couldn’t even identify the man who made the charge. You know that this is a no case. But later on one of the leading members of the alumni association came here and she told me this is the problem, that who are involved didn’t want to face the camera because of the embarrassment that will follow admission of something like that.
“Now, they have three students who are ready even to be interviewed on television. So, I have set up a committee that will be going to the school to investigate anew in the light of the new evidence that is available.”
TheCable recently launched a “Cry for Justice” campaign, seeking investigations into the negligence, corruption and regulatory failure at Queen’s College.
The Osifala issue was highlighted by the newspaper, in addition to the deaths of three girls from water-borne infections.
Adamu revealed to TheCable on Thursday that federal government has launched a probe into “those responsible” for the deaths, an investigation that will look into the tenure of Lami Amodu, the principal at the time of the tragedy.
Source: The Cable